farmersown

The Vision: Poverty alleviation to wealth creation Within 5 years 40,000 farmers will be out of poverty by growing and trading food crops selected and marketed by Farmers Own. Expansion into fruit and other crops plus processing of produce will bring further major income benefits to poor rural communities. Farmers will build their own businesses with help in organisation, management and marketing see www.farmersown.com

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Week of 5 Sept

Farmers Own Weblog - week of 5 Sept

I arrived in Nairobi on 3 Sept and spent some time with a Kenyan family in Langata, part of the kenyanisation process which included getting used to the food such as ugali, very good but struggled with the sheeps guts. Started to re-aquint myself with the geography of Nairobi. I bought myself a local phone as my UK phone cost a pound a minute when here.

I met Mildred on Monday for a very useful handover meeting, she left for UK on Monday evening and I have just had an e-mail from her that she is settling into a sunny Hull.

I came to Runda on Tuesday morning and was received by Charles, Julius and Stephen who were pleased to see me. I brought some clothes for them so they were happy.
Well I quickly found the usual african problems, the pickup still had no working indicators and no fuel, the landrover would not start and the electrical power went off for several hours.

I have now got the landrover working (it needed a new battery), I have got Jacky's computer working (it had a corrupted registry - Sam came over and we downloaded a massive Norton file which took all night - this seems to have fixed it). I have set up an account for my own computer with wirless connection at the Village Market nearby as a fall back.

I have read all Mildreds files concerning contacts with the donor agencies and now starting to follow up contacts for presentations. Jacky is not back yet, I have called her mobile several times but no connection, she must be still in Uganda. I have got the DVD working which we will use for presentations.

I have been speaking to Laban in Western Province regularly and he is very cheerful.

Will keep you informed via this blog. I feel quite encouraged so far.

3 Comments:

At 4:44 am, Blogger BigMangoDave said...

Hi Dad,

Good to see that you have set up the blog so we can all keep track of Farmersown and you have started to make some inroads. If there is anything I can do from Asia then please let me know.

Dave

 
At 9:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tony

Good to hear you're settling in well in Kenya. Food sounds a bit different from that served at Bilton-in-Anstey!!
I'll try to keep you updated with progress on the funding front - and anything else that's relevant.
Application to Comic Relief will go in today and we have considerable interest from a Dutch funder. They have someone who wants to visit FO in Kenya early October - no doubt Jim will be in touch with you to arrange something.
Let me know if you need any info regarding the Business Plan and its connected items.
Best wishes
Stephen

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Steve Margetts said...

Good luck with the presentations - we'll be interested to hear how you get on

 

Post a Comment

<< Home